Well foodie friends this week I got strong cravings for Mexican food, when I was in Mexico this last summer I had some of the best food ever! My favorite food has and probably always will be Mexican Rice. However, the box kind you can get at the store just doesn’t do it justice. So I decided to try and make some at home that would be just what I was looking for.
-1/4 cup cooking oil-1 cup raw rice (I used brown rice)
-1 cove of garlic, minced
-1/4 cup diced onions
-1 chicken bouillon cube
-1 1/2 cups hot water
-8 oz tomato sauce
-salt and pepper
-1/4 teaspoon dried cilantro
-1/2 tablespoon taco seasoning
1. In hot oil, fry rice, garlic, and onion until rice is golden brown
2. Dissolve bouillon cube in hot water, add to rice
3. Add tomato sauce, salt and pepper to rice. Mix well.
4. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally.
5. Lower heat and put lid on pan. Cook covered for 20-25 minutes or until all liquid had been absorbed. 6. Add cilantro and taco seasoning. Mix well. Serve
I really thought this recipe was great. At the end just before it was completely done I added some frozen veggies to the mix to get some extra veggies in my meal. It was delicious. I did find that it took a little bit closer to 30 or 35 minutes for my rice to be done. I doubled my recipe also so I would have extras.
With my extras I used it as filling to make quesadillas the next night. I filled my shell with chicken, veggies, and rice and it was so great. I put a thin layer of Greek yogurt on my shell before adding the other ingredients and then folded it up and heated it. I got this really cool quesadilla maker, panini press combo for Christmas from my parents. But you could just heat it on the stove in a large pan. So good!
I hope you guys love this as much as we did! It is a close second to Mexico, however any time your eating on the beach is best!! 🙂